The government has reportedly revealed that 9 Islamist terror attacks have been foiled in the last 12 months.
Director General of MI5 told Cabinet 9 terrorist attacks were prevented in past year #terror
— Vicki Young (@BBCVickiYoung) December 5, 2017
The Director General of MI5, Andrew Parker, has told the Cabinet that 9 attacks have been prevented in the year leading up to today (December 5th, 2017), according to reports – his comments related specifically to Islamist terror attacks.
The Prime Minister’s spokesman told reporters: “Mr Parker said that 9 terrorist attacks had been prevented in the past year.
“There have been 5 attacks that have got through, four of which are related to Islamist terrorism.”
According to reports, ministers were told that while ISIS had suffered ‘major defeats in Iraq and Syria, this did not mean the threat is over, rather it is spreading to new areas, including trying to encourage attacks in the UK and elsewhere via propaganda on social media’.
It comes after the head of the Met Police, Cressida Dick, revealed there were around 20,000 people on Britain’s terror watchlist.
She said 340 people were arrested for terror offences between 2015 and 2016.
As of May there were 500 ongoing terror investigations.
Yet the government is cutting resources for Britain’s security services – The Met alone faces £413m cuts. That’s madness. The jihadi threat has never been higher.